The Yeditepe University Hospital’s speech and language therapist, Elçin Tadıhan Özkan, said the speech has followed a specific course since the child was born: “If 50 percent of the children are not understood by the age of 3, an expert should be consulted. "
How is language development in children??
Children learn the language and language by listening to the sounds and conversations around them. The first cry at birth can be seen as the beginning of the conversation. Crying is his lifesaver until he speaks. He uses this voice to tell him that he is hungry, that his sleep is coming, that his gold is getting wet, that he is tired. Over time, he discovers that he can make noises other than crying and starts to play with noises. Babies are very sensitive to noise. In fact, babies born with the ability to make a variety of sounds are beginning to mimic the sounds that are only used in their environment. Do not use other sounds that do not respond to adults. There is a rapid development from sounds to syllables, words and sentence structures.
What suggests that the child’s language development is delayed?
In general, all children follow a certain order in language development. However, due to individual differences, some children of peers can be left behind to complete this process. Sometimes the delay in language development can be due to many reasons caused be such. B. Hearing loss, autism, intellectual disability, cerebral palsy. If the child does not master certain skills during language acquisition, an expert should be consulted.
Which diagnostic methods do you use as a specialist in this case??
Children with delayed language and language skills should first undergo an "audiological Konuşma examination". Sometimes parents do not notice moderate hearing loss in their children. If the ability to sit, crawl, walk and develop speech is delayed, if it frequently loses balance and falls, has no eye contact and reacts to touch, a "child neurologist" should be consulted. If the child is not diagnosed with a problem during listening and neurological examination, children who are concerned about their language should be assessed by a "speech and language therapy specialist". It should not be dealt with generalizations like ir. It improves when it grows up. "," His father spoke too late. “, Düzel. It improves when he goes to school.
The speech therapist evaluates the child’s receptive and expressive language skills and sensitizes the family to what needs to be done, either through a family support program or with the child. Early diagnosis and intervention is very important.
What advice would you give parents?
The child’s social environment, the quality and quantity of the verbal stimuli made available to him and, in particular, the communication between the mother and the child significantly influence the language acquisition process. According to the research, language development among children who grow up in nursing homes frequently change caregivers and grow up in a crowded home environment, while children with whom they speak read the books and grow up in different social settings, more quickly are.
During breastfeeding, mothers should make eye contact and speak to them. Mothers who talked to their babies found that the baby made various sounds after a while. This is an important answer for the baby’s language acquisition.
Feed, put on, change diapers and so on. In everyday activities, speaking about the current activity is the most natural way to improve the child’s vocabulary.
Parents should pay attention to simple words and short sentences when speaking to their children. Children can invent new words for some words that they cannot say. In such cases, it is important that the child does not repeat the word he has invented and that it is the correct model by saying the actual word. For example, if a two-year-old child "mute" instead of "automobile" says, "yes, it doesn’t sound that way", it should be modeled. However, the child should not be forced to say the right word or should not be ignored. Some children try to repeat what they hear, while others are indifferent to their parents’ persistent efforts. Parents should not interrupt communication, even if their children are not responding to them, and maintain communication with their children in different ways. You should never restrict communication with the child by commenting that it does not listen to me, that it is very indifferent that it does not understand it. “After a while, some children start imitating their parents. Activities such as children’s songs, dolls, toys, etc. can be used to communicate with the child. Another thing that parents need to watch out for is to give the child the opportunity to express themselves. Instead of trying to understand the child’s gestures and gestures by interpreting his own made-up words or crying behavior, a model should be used to express what he wants to say in words. If the child succeeds in realizing his or her wishes through crying or signs, he will continue to use this method as a means of communication. When these behaviors are ignored by their parents and their language efforts rewarded, they begin to use the conversation as a means of communication.
In which case the specialist should be consulted?
– 3 months; does not respond to ambient noise or human voice,
-3-5 months; does not respond to the warm tone of the adult with a smile or cry to the angry tone,
– 6-9 months; doesn’t make meaningless syllable repetitions like bada / bagu, but doesn’t respond when he hears his mother’s voice even though he can’t see his face,
– 10-11 months; "No no" does not understand, it does not imitate the adult when speaking with the sounds, cannot repeat syllables like ba ba ba, ma ma, does not use gestures and imitations, does not respond to the name,
– 12 months; does not imitate speech sounds (kisses, tongues), makes no sounds other than crying to fulfill their wishes, and does not say at least one word like father / mother,
– 18 months; cannot recognize and display family members, does not follow simple commands such as goodbye / buy-and
– 24 Months; does not understand the 50 different words spoken to him and does not say at least 4 different words other than the names of family members such as parents or pets.
– 3 years old; If at least 50% of what he says cannot be understood by people other than family members, he cannot form sentences of at least three words, he cannot speak about past events, he cannot answer simple questions, he cannot answer simple two-stage steps Can execute commands (give this to your father),
– 4 years old; If the person does not use pronouns, possessive / plural suffixes, cannot speak about past / future times, cannot answer questions about the functions of objects (which ones fly? Etc.),
– 5 years old; If they cannot answer why / how and cannot express what objects do (what we do with chairs, etc.) when most If their conversations are not understood by strangers, if they cannot tell a simple story, seek help from a specialist as soon as possible.
Babies react with crying when they encounter situations they dislike or find negative, while children aged 2-3 years respond to crying or beating. DBE…
Spotted an Error? Many children experience feelings of grief and grief in the first years of life. Losing a family member or even seeing their death is…
Jealousy; It’s a negative attitude to think that a loved one is interested in someone else. The jealousy seen in every age group is stronger in children….
Foster children in puberty.. A little anecdote from a pubescent girl: “When I was little, I was happy about my new bike. My parents ran alongside me. And…