Peterskirche – catholic church st

Baroque jewel from Vienna & Art monument of Austria

liturgy & Pastoral care in the Peterskirche

The Catholic Rector’s Church St. Peter is considered one of the most beautiful baroque churches in Vienna. It is one of the most valuable art monuments in Austria. In the 4th century the first church in Vienna stood in its place – in the Roman camp Vindobona. Today’s Peterskirche was built between 1701 and 1733. It was designed by Lukas von Hildebrandt.

With services, liturgy and pastoral care, she not only captivates Viennese, but also guests from abroad. The church is led by Rector Dr. Christian Spalek. He is supported in leadership and pastoral care by several priests.

Fiaker in front of Peterskirche (1st, Petersplatz) © Schaub-Walzer / PID

Opening times of the Peterskirche

Monday to Friday: 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Saturday, Sunday and public holidays: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Masses and concerts in the church are free. Free donations for the musicians are welcome. Visiting the concerts in the crypt is usually not free.

Attractions in the baroque Peterskirche

  • organ
  • dome fresco
  • John of Nepomuk Altar
  • Coat of arms of the Emperor Leopold I.
  • Barbara Altar
  • Sebastian Altar
  • Holy Family Altar /
  • Michael’s Altar
  • Altar of St. Francis de Sales
  • Antonius Altar
  • Relief of Charlemagne
  • Crypt (with exhibition of cribs in Advent)

Altar of the Peterskirche © Schaub-Walzer / PID

history

The very first church on place, Where today’s St. Peter’s Church stands was built in the second half of the 4th century – as a converted barracks building in the Roman camp of Vindobona: this was the oldest church and the first parish in the city.

When this first church was rebuilt in Romanesque and Gothic style, the medieval St. Peter’s Church emerged from it. Stone retables from the early 16th century have been preserved from the late Gothic Valentine’s Chapel. You are in today’s crypt.

In 1701 the dilapidated church was demolished. The baroque Peterskirche was built in its place. After its completion in 1733, it was dedicated to the Blessed Trinity and Saint Peter. Numerous great building masters of the time – such as Altomonte, Rottmayr, or Donner-Kohl – created a particularly impressive church building.

The most recent renovation took place between 2001 and 2004.

Pulpit and altar in the Peterskirche © Schaub-Walzer / PID

The crypt: pastoral care & Nativity scene exhibition in Advent

The entire church building is underlaid by the crypt. Here is the oldest part of the entire building – an early Roman stone portal lion. The space for pastoral care has been available since 1971.

Since 1958, a crib exhibition has also been held here every Advent. This is now well known and popular.

360 degree interior view the church:

Arrival and location of the St. Peter Catholic Church

Address: Petersplatz, 1010 Vienna
Public accessibility: Subway U3 (Herrengasse station), U1 (Stephansplatz station)
Map:

RELATED POSTS

Like this post? Please share to your friends:
Meito Home
Leave a Reply

;-) :| :x :twisted: :smile: :shock: :sad: :roll: :razz: :oops: :o :mrgreen: :lol: :idea: :grin: :evil: :cry: :cool: :arrow: :???: :?: :!: